Self-Publishing Part 6
Six Ways to Publish Your eBook and Book
Self-publishing is continually becoming the preferred option for authors due to the information and tools available to them. There are many self-publishing sites and services available to help the author get their book or eBook to market.
Our eBook Author Academy is an example of a site assisting authors who decide to go at it alone. We focus on providing authors with the information they need to self-publish an eBook as it is the current trend for authors to self-publish their eBook and pursue a hybrid contract where they go through a traditional publisher for their book.
Self-Published Authors Will:
- Be responsible for production of their work.
- Write the manuscript.
- Be responsible for editing.
- Be responsible for proof reading.
- Be responsible for type setting.
- Be responsible for formatting.
- Be responsible for eBook cover design.
- Be responsible for distribution.
- Be responsible for eBook marketing.
- Be responsible for negotiating contracts.
- Assume all risks.
- Take on all direct costs.
What are the Benefits of self-publishing?
- More control over your book.
- You retain the rights to your book or eBook.
- Maintain control of where your eBook or book is distributed.
- Be able to decide which store you do not want your eBook sold in.
- You can make additional income from speaking, add-on products and retain 100% of revenue.
- Earn greater royalties (often up to 90%).
- Retain creative control of your work.
- Get your eBook or book to market very quickly (Often within weeks).
- Include whatever content you want in your eBook or book.
- If your book is successful, you can generate further income by selling your international and digital rights.
- You can have control of ‘pre-publication’ marketing.
What are the Drawbacks of Self-publishing?
- The author requires more motivation.
- The author will be required to devote more time to publishing and marketing their eBook or book.
- The author will be responsible for upfront costs.
- The author takes on all risks.
- As a self-publisher, you may not have the experience or expertise in all areas of the publishing process.
- You will have to source your own POD Company.
- The author may need to hire the services of self-publishing companies at a cost.
- The author will be required to do all negotiating of contracts and terms.
This Option May be for You if You:
- Are prepared to invest in your education in learning about the self-publishing industry.
- Have the ability and knowledge to promote your eBook.
- Want to retain control of your eBook or book.
- Are a motivated entrepreneur.
- Require immediate return for your work.
- Have already been rejected by publishers.
- Have the time to invest in taking your manuscript from idea to publication.
- Know how to ‘pre-sell’ copies of your eBooks.
- Want to get your time sensitive eBook published very quickly.
- Have the resources and the knowledge to self-publish?