Smashwords analyzes eBook Sales
Each year, the Smashwords Survey analyzes eBook sales aggregated across the Smashwords distribution network.
They are looking to identify potential data driven insights that can help authors and publishers make their books more accessible, more desirable and more enjoyable to readers.
Here are some of the questions we seek to answer:
- What are the top fiction and non-fiction categories?
- What romance categories perform the best?
- How do box sets perform, and which types of box set perform the best?
- Do authors who release ebooks as preorders sell more books overall?
- How do pre-order adoption rates differ across genres (New!!)
- What percentage of overall sales in each genre for new titles go to books released as preorders (New!)
- What are the pricing sweet spots for full-length fiction to maximize both readership and author earnings?
- Do longer books still sell better?
- Does FREE still work, and what about free series starters?
- Do series books sell better than standalone books, and if so, by how much?
And here you go, the Smashwords Survey!